Thursday, February 23, 2012

Feb 24


Summary
In her article “Identity, Authority, and Learning to Write in New Workplaces”, Wardle argues that in order to succeed in your writing, you sometimes must change. Wardle discuss how your identity may conflict with a new discourse community. She presents this information by telling a story about Alan who has recently graduated from college and is struggling to communicate with his fellow employees.
QDs
3. I think that Alan and his work community did not have positive results because, he was not willing to change in order to “fit in”. I think that if he allowed himself to change for his fellow workers, then he would be able to communicate more fluently.
4. I do agree with Thompson when e states that people use language unconsciously. I think that in my writing, along with everyone’s writing, you put yourself in the writing without even attempting to. When you put yourself in your writing there may often be underlying meaning that you never intended to put.
5. I agree more with what Wardle by saying that Alan was resisting the discourse community. I think that Alan would have been able to successfully join his discourse community if he would have been able to adopt the identity that people in that community imagined for him.
6. I think that Alan is a community member not a tool, because he is a random sampling.
7. One example of a person that has institutionally ascribed authority that lost it by linguistic behaviors is my basketball coach. This incident happened after a game when he was giving his post game speech but, he used language and words that were not necessarily appropriate for the situation. He temporarily lost authority from me because of his actions.
AEI
1.     I think that a person that has authority over texts and within a discourse community is someone who has been educated thoroughly. They must be able to answer questions and educate others about the topic. The only authority I seemed to have was on my sports teams when I was an upperclassman. I feel that I slowly gained authority with my experience and skill with the game, and by the time I was a senior others looked up to me and respected me with my decisions.

4 comments:

  1. agree with your comment in the AEI.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job summarizing! For number 7, I said something kind of similar, except it was my drumline instructor in high school. After our worst performance, he really ripped us apart, and made sure that we got back together, and improved our performance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your summary was well thought out and very clear however I think you could'v included a quote or actual event from the article. I agree with all of your questions and think you answered with great detail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most of our answers were similar and I agree with all of your responses to the QD, except for #6 because I thought he was more of a tool in the community. My response to the AEI was nearly the same. My baseball coach exploded after a game and also used some language that wasn't necessary.

    ReplyDelete