Brandt Summary:
In the article “Sponsors of Literacy” Deborah Brandt describes how people become able to read and write, or literate. She says that we learn these skills through something she calls sponsors, which are people, ideas or institutions.
Response:
I thought that this article was interesting because it showed me a different view of how people become literate. This is not a subject I have really pondered about so I was interested in her though process behind everything.
QD:
1. Brandt describes a literacy sponsor as a person, idea or institution that tech us, or help us become literate. Some characteristics include wealthy, acknowledgeable, and religious.
3. Sponsors sometimes “misappropriate” their literacy lessons by only associating with the middle and upper class students and leaving behind the less fortunate students.
4. She uses the term “stratified” to show the statuses of different people. I think that when she uses the term “stakes” she means the limitations that a person can have.
AE1
A few things that taught me literacy are my family, school, and sports. My family has taught me values in life and somewhat of religion. School plays the role with the academics. My involvement with sports has taught me the social and teamwork aspects.
I agree with your summary of what Brandt was trying to say in her article
ReplyDeleteI had almost the identical response to the AEI question. I think sports, family, and school do play a huge role in literacy.
ReplyDeletei agree with your AEI response that family and school are huge roles in literacy.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your AEI I wrote something similar for mine.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your AEI and all of your responses. Family, school, and sports have played a big role in my literacy as well. Good job!
ReplyDelete