Thursday, February 9, 2012

Feb 8


Baron Summary
In his article From Pencils to Pixels: The Stages of Literacy Technologies Dennis Baron discusses the impact that technology has on writing. He explains the evolution of writing technologies that we would not have classified as “technology” if he hasn’t brought it to our attention.
Response
I thought that this article was somewhat interesting because of Dennis’s thought process. I thought it was interesting how he explains that there has always been technologies with writing, however, technologies now are more elaborate, and expensive. He would go as far as to say that a simple pencil was once state of the art technology.
QD
2. I do not agree with Baron’s idea that new technologies change the shape or nature of writing, because I feel that the ideas of writing will always be the same. I do not think that simply enhancing the technologies to do so will change the nature of writing as a whole.
4. Another literacy technologies that were once “high technology” but is no longer is the typewriter. The typewriter, when newly introduced, was a fast, simple, and neat way to write without using a pencil. However, now a typewriter is something of the past and it is no longer a luxury to have. The new technology that substituted for the typewriter is that computer which is still being used today.
6. The illustrations and pictures that were shown throughout the article really did help contribute to his ideas throughout the article. All the pictures showed some sort of thought towards technology. I like the Marilyn Monroe and Abraham Lincoln picture to show that technology can now be used as forgery.

Malcolm X Summary
In this excerpt Learning to Read Malcolm X discusses how he learned to read despite his unfortunate upbringing. He discusses how he would read for motivation, which would fuel him to read more and more.
Response
I thought that this excerpt was somewhat inspirational because Malcolm X was able to overcome his many obstacles and become very skilled in the field of literacy. I thought it was interesting how he discussed his education as “homemade” and even in the worst conditions (prison) he made the best out of it.
QD
1.     I think that Malcolm’s audience is people who do not have the same opportunities as others, but they have a drive. I think that he wants these people to take his life stories and use it as motivation to accomplish their own goals and dreams with literacy.
2.     He defines literacy as being able to read and to be able to understand. This is similar to the school based definition, but his was of defining it is more vague.
3.     School, prison, books, and letters would be the main sponsors that Malcolm X discusses throughout this excerpt. I think that books and prison were the most influential because prison gave him the environment to continue reading and books were the information that he was retaining.
4.     I think this was the case for Malcolm X because he was never privileged as a child to become successful in literacy.
6.     I have never had a huge motivation in writing, however, I have had motivation towards sports, which is similar to Malcolm’s reading motivation because I would put great deals of time towards sports.
AEI
I think that new technologies are beginning to change the way we look at literacy because now there seems to be other criteria other than just reading and writing. We now communicate through other forms such as texting which has its own form of literacy.

Alexie Summary
In his article The Joy of Reading and Writing: Superman and Me Alexie explains how he taught himself how to read with the superman comics. He also talks about his father’s contribution to his teachings by motivating him and buying him books.
QD
1.     I think that having expectations as a child plays a very large role in their literacy learning. I think that minority ethnicities are the most negatively impacted because their expectations are not as high as others. I think that my experiences with this were positive because I was privileged to have parents that cared about my learning and I was able to attend a school with skilled and caring teachers.
AE1
I do think that everyone can overcome poverty and discrimination with determination and motivation, but it will not be an easy road. The person must have somewhat of a mental toughness and a drive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment