Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Jan 11


GRR Option Two:
·      Peers
·      Internet Sources
·      Writing center (Alden)
·      Books/Novels/Articles
·      Teachers/ Professors

Summary
In the article "Intertextuality and the Discourse Community”, the author James E. Porter attempts to explore the difference between original writing and plagiarism.  The principle Porter uses is called intertextuality, which is the idea that all texts have some contents from other texts and that no work is entirely original.  Porter gives several examples of intertextuality including the following; Jefferson’s draft of the Declaration of Independence, a Pepsi commercial, and John Kinfer New York Times Headline.  Porter also defines a discourse community as a group of individuals bound by a common interest who communicate through approved channels and share assumptions.

Response
I found Porter’s explanation of intertextuality very interesting and his comparison of original work and plagiarism to be correct. After reading this article I have a better understanding of how intertextuality is incorporated into writing.

QD 2-4
2. Yes, because every writer borrows from each other.
3. Porter calls an autonomous writer creative similar to how a romantic writer paints a picture through his words.
4. After reading this article I now understand that you have to write from the audience’s perspective.
5. His work reflects the prinicples of intertextuality because he uses several examples in his work.
6. According to Porter the problem is that individuality is impossible to reach when intertextuality exists.

MM
Porter’s study has changed the way I imagine writers. I am now aware that writers use outside tools to gain insight about the topic they are writing about. It will change the way I write because I will use more outside references.

3 comments:

  1. Brett I agree that Porter is correct in his comparison of original work and plagiarism. I like how you commented on the fact that writers use outside tools to gain insight about the topic they are writing about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with how you described intertexuality and the way Porter believes that plagiarism is a common factor in writing. Using more outside sources, will also be something that I will incorporate into my future writings. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your response on what intertextuality means.

    ReplyDelete