Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Jan 25 Blog post

Bekenkotter
In the article Decisions and Revisions: Berkenkotter attempts a study to find out what the planning and revising strategies of a skilled writer. Her subject that she observed and worked with was Murray. She would conduct the project in stages where Murray would either put his thoughts on tape, condense them into one hour, or she would go to his home and listen to him discuss his ideas.

Murray
In the article Response of a Laboratory Rat- or, Being Protocoled, Murray discusses his thoughts about the study, and the outcome that came from it. Murray said that he does not agree with the idea that the thought of writing and the act of thinking are separate. Also Murray discusses how he never realized how much time actually goes to his revision processes.

Summary
This was different from all the other articles that we have read in the past because it involved an experiment with writing, which i have never looked at. It was interesting to see how Bekenkotter conducted the experiment, and the results that she got from it. I also liked how they placed Murray's reflection to the experiment right after Bekenkotter's article.

QD:
1. I thought that it was really interesting to direct a persons writing processes how Bekenkotter did here. Murray's writing process does differ from mine because it seems that he thinks over his writings in his head more often then I do.
2. Murray says that he was far more aware of his audience then he thought he was, and he has to suppress them to hear what the text really says. This could be the case for me as well because I do not always think of my audience while I write a paper, unless the assignment specifically has me writing to a certain audience.
3. Berkenkotter came to the conclusion that planning and revising came hand in hand when it came to writing. She realized that while doing one, you are also inclined to do the other.

AEI
I do not have as much time as I would initially hope for when I write, because I procrastinate and put it off until the very end. With the clock ticking, I watch myself stress and quickly get all of my thoughts onto paper as fast as I can to finish on time, which not is the most efficient way of writing.

MM
I learned that you do not have to be sitting at a desk to begin planning or writing your paper. You could just be thinking about it in your mind throughout the day, then when you do sit down to begin writing it may be easier to get your ideas into your writing

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you that this article is different than most because they underwent an experiment to figure out how they construct their writings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a great job summarizing each article and I agree with you that writers don't have to sit down at a desk and plan their writing, they can simply think in their minds how they what their writing to look. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what you said about not having to be sitting at a desk to revise your ideas. I also put something along the lines of thinking in your mind throughout the day to try and revise ideas for your paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brett:

    Great response. I like that you freely admit that you tend to procrastinate. I did too when I was an undergraduate, and I know there are lots of reasons why. Taking more time makes a difference, but of course you have to make decisions about when and why you can or should put in more time and when you might get by with the procrastination; everything's rhetorical. I do encourage you to PRACTICE taking more time for this class so you have the experience you'll need when it really matters.

    In summaries, try to explain why the author does/says these things in addition to what is said (which you do very well).

    ReplyDelete