Sunday, February 26, 2012

Feb 27


Summary
In the article Reading and Writing without Authority Penrose and Geisler argue that knowledge or lack of knowledge is not what determines one’s authority. To show this, Penrose and Geisler examine a text from a first year student and a text on the same subject written by a doctoral student. After the two texts were examined Penrose and Geisler came to the conclusion that authority is determined by the level of one’s experience with writing and the confidence that comes with it.

QDs
3. The information transfer model refers to Janet’s writing because she is still a student in the writing world, and the way that she writes is by finding research and transferring the information into her writing. Another reason that Janet uses this method is a lack of knowledge of the subject, which leaves her with no other choice than to regurgitate information. Roger, on the other hand, is a graduate and may look at writing in a different way then Janet because, he sees his writing as conversational and less structured. Also his knowledge of the subject allows him to have a “continual process”.
4. I think that this was the case because as a student Janet was probably more confident in her sources because they are published articles and she probably looks at herself as an amateur. I also experience this with my writings, and I would rather rely on my sources then my own thoughts.
5. My writing is more like Janet’s because I am more of an information- transfer model rather than a constructivist model of knowledge. I am an information- transfer model because I feel that I am an amateur with my writings, so I rely on my sources and findings to compose my texts.

MM
After reading this article, the next time I write a research paper I will try not to just regurgitate the information I find. I will write with more a constructive and conversational way. Also, I will not lessen my abilities by second guessing my own thoughts and relying mainly on my sources.

Reflection
This article really made me think about how I lessen my ability to have authority. The whole article I referred to Janet’s ways of writing as my way because we share many similarities. I hope that from now on when I write I will be able to have more authority in my writing.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your statement in meta moments because I to have a problem of just regurgitating facts when writing research papers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your responses, especially #5 because I rely on sources for my writings as well. Good job!

    ReplyDelete