Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Jan 18


Allen Summary:
In the article “The Inspired Writer Vs. The Real Writer”, Allen discusses that writing does not necessarily come easy for people who write well. In the beginning of her article she discusses how her students automatically assumed that she enjoyed writing just because she was good at it. Allen then goes to explain that famous writers such as Hemingway, who had rings around their eyes and had tangled hair, went through difficulties with their writings just like every other writer. Allen jokingly explains that the rings around the eyes were from endless nights of sleep, and the tangled hair was from them frustratingly messing with it. The main point that Allen was attempting to get across was that everyone will struggle with writing, so do not get discouraged with your-self, because writing is difficult.

Allen Response:
My experiences relates to Allen’s article because I am that student that does not enjoy writing, along with many other students. I do find writing very difficult, and sometimes I feel lost as to what structure of format I should write my papers in. However, after reading this article I have a sense of reassurance, because now I know that I am not alone, writing is difficult for mostly are writers, you just have to “trudge” through it all.

Murray Summary
In the article All Writing is Autobiographical Murray attempts to prove that all writing is autobiographical and that we incorporate our own thoughts and opinions into our writing. Murray uses his own pieces of writing to prove that all writing is autobiographical, whether it be a poem, narrative, or nonfictional piece.

GGR Pg. 57
·      Never use words such as “I” or “you”
·      Do not incorporate yourself into your paper
·      Research papers should not be personal
QD Pg. 66
1.     The construct that Murray is asking to reconsider is that of never to put yourself into your writings. He actually encourages writers to make their writing autobiographical and to feel free to use words such as “I” in their writings.
3.     Murray’s article is different from the other articles in this chapter because his writing is more informal. He writes in a way that he is having a conversation with you because he uses the word I so often in his writings. It makes his writing seem more of a conversation than an academic article. I think that he wanted to “break out” to show that writing autobiographically makes it easier for both the writer and the reader to understand the information.
4.     Murray’s article fits the genre of a “scholarly article” because his format is somewhat similar to the other articles. He makes his claim in the beginning of his article, which is to make all writing autobiographical. He then discusses this through examples of his own poems, narratives and writings.
5.     Murray’s article made me reconsider all writings because I have always been told to never use the word I into my writings. However, Murray effectively uses I in basically every form of writing, including a nonfictional piece. If I do decide to take Murray’s thoughts about writing and utilize them in my writings, I feel that there will be many more possibilities to writing.

MM pg. 66
I think that understanding Murray’s claims will allow me to effectively get my points across to the reader. Also writing will seem more free, and not restricted by the any “rules”.

Dawkins Summary
In the article Teaching Punctuation as a Rhetorical Tool Dawkins argues that there is too much emphasis on grammar in writings. He thinks that there should be less stress on grading or correcting grammar, and more stress on looking at the actual writing. Dawkins discusses a set of “rules” that students and teachers should follow instead of the “rules” of grammar.

GRR pg. 139
1.     My sister’s tree house, made of wood scraps and cardboard, made a great place to play with her friends.
2.     My sister’s tree house that was made of wood scraps and cardboard, made a great place to play with her friends.
3.     The tree house made of wood scraps and cardboard made a great place for my sister to play with her friends.

QD Pg. 154 2, 3, 5, 6
2.
·      Handbook rules provide no instruction for use of the comma
·      Handbooks do not provide help for independent clauses
·      Handbooks do not tell you when to use semicolons.
3.“Pressure to use a mark higher in the hierarchy is call raising”, while lowering refers to the lack of or no punctuation between two clauses.
5. After reading this article I learned that handbooks really do not effectively set one way to set up sentences.
6. When I write I usually think of punctuation as a necessary aspect the piece I am writing. However, after reading this article my thoughts have slightly changed, I now think of punctuation as something added to the writing, not something that is needed.

MM pg. 155
By reading this article I have a better understanding about punctuation because of the examples that were given. I learned that I should spend less time on the punctuation of my writing and more time on my actual ideas I attempt to get across through my writing.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you that after reading article by Sarah Allen I feel a sense of reassurance in my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brett,
    I agree with the things you said. I don't think that writing comes easy to anyone and it always helps to get reviews from peers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what you say about spending less time on punctuation and more time focusing on your actual thoughts.

    ReplyDelete