Sunday, January 8, 2012

JANUARY 9 Reading


Reading Games Summary
This passage was very interesting to me because it discussed difficulties that I, as a college student, am faced with on a daily basis. I liked how she began with her experience of reading through paragraphs but her mind is engaged in another thought. After reading this article I want to attempt these strategies such as finding the “audience that the author is trying to seek out.

What Rhetoric Means
Rhetoric is the way that the author tries to get their point across to the audience. There are many ways that the author attempts to persuade the readers. Rhetoric is used when reading academic articles because as you read you should be a rhetoric reader. You should not only read the text but also notice the relationship between the writer, reader and text.

Intro
This section discusses what we have believed about writing may not necessarily be true. They relate this thought to The Matrix by saying we have been living in a fantasy world and must take the “red pill” to see the real world.

WAW QD 1-3 and 6
1.     Think that Kantz is attempting to say that facts, opinions, and arguments aren’t anything until the reader perceives them as such. It is seen as factual depending on how many others agree with the writing.
2.     –Students do not understand how to “interact” with the readings.
-The idea that textbooks are “factual”.
-“Research” means compiling facts and transmitting them to a teacher.
       3.              Yes, I think that Kantz’s ideas will change the way I approach research and writing because I will put my own input into the writing, not just regurgitate the information.

Meta Moment
I think that Kantz is trying to change the way that us, as students, read academic text. It would be useful to understand her claims to get the most out of your reading.

Summary
In this article Kantz tries to explain different ways to approach research papers and factual information. She explains that it’s ok to use your opinions and thoughts.

Paper Idea
The importance of grammar

4 comments:

  1. Brett, I agree with a lot of what you're saying. I definitely agree that the Reading Games was a very interesting piece, because we are faced with that daily. I also think Kantz's ideas will change the way I write, and most students. And your paper idea is the opposite of mine so this should be interesting! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brett, I totally know what you mean when you say this reading was for us college students. I agree that Kantz is trying to help guide us into the correct ways to read academic texts and I think after reading this we will have an easier time comprehending what it is that we are reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brett,
    I definitely agree with everything that you're saying. She does a great job of explaining how it is for us college students. You did a great job of explaining it. Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brett, I completely agree with how you felt about reading games, it was very easy to relate to. I also agree with what you said about the use of rhetoric and it can be beneficial to reach out to your audience and persuade them into thinking your thoughts or opinions on something. One more thing that I kind of noticed throughout Kantz's passage is that there just isn't one way of writing, you can't be told how to write. There are so many different ways of writing, which is kind of what Kantz was trying to get across. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete